Photo: California Attorney General Rob Bonta (second from right) listed to Stockton Police Chief Stanley McFadden during a press conference concerning a weapons seize in the city in June. Bonta has complimented Stockton for the arrest of a suspect in the recent serial shootings. (File Photo)

California Attorney General Rob Bonta said Saturday he is “grateful” for the arrest earlier in the day of the suspect in the series of recent homicides in Stockton and Oakland.

“I am grateful for the work of the Stockton Police Department and law enforcement agencies who lent their support to this investigation, including the California Department of Justice’s Bureau of Firearms and Bureau of Forensic Services,” Bonta said. “When we face a challenge or threat to the safety of Californians, we stand stronger when we stand together. Because of our collaborative work, the citizens of Stockton and California communities can feel comfort in knowing that this suspect is now in custody.”

Wesley Brownlee, 43, has been arrested in connection with the series of shootings in Stockton and Oakland in the past 16 months. (Courtesy of Stockton Police Department)

At a Saturday afternoon news conference at Stockton police headquarters, Police Chief Stanley McFadden and Stockton Mayor Kevin Lincoln announced the arrest of a man in connection with the recent serial killings in Stockton and Oakland that claimed the lives of six people. 

Wesley Brownlee, 43 of Stockton, was arrested early Saturday morning and is set to appear at the San Joaquin County Superior Court at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Two of the five felony charges Brownlee is currently facing include a felon or addict in possession of a firearm and a prohibited person owning or possessing ammunition. The three other charges include carrying a concealed weapon in a vehicle, carrying a loaded weapon in public and one charge of felony murder. He is being held without bail.

Brownlee was stopped by officers in the area of Village Green Drive and Winslow Avenue at approximately 2 a.m. Saturday before being taken into custody. 

According to police, he was wearing dark clothing, a mask around his neck and was armed with a firearm.

Police said after their surveillance team followed Brownlee while he was driving and watched his patterns. They determined he was going to possibly strike again.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *