California is co-leading a lawsuit challenging the Trump Administration’s abrupt dismantlement of AmeriCorps, the national service corps whose 6,150 members in the state in 2024 worked in food banks, homeless shelters, health clinics, youth centers, veterans’ facilities, and schools as tutors and teacher aides.

In February, AmeriCorps placed more than 85% of its workforce on immediate leave, with a June 24 termination date, in response to a presidential executive order. On April 25, the federal government notified states that it was immediately canceling grants for approximately 1,031 AmeriCorps programs nationwide.

Trump acted “without any concern for the thousands of people who are ready and eager to serve their country — or for those whose communities are stronger because of this public service,” said Attorney General Rob Bonta in a statement. “In California, AmeriCorps volunteers build affordable housing, clean up our environment, and address food insecurity in communities across our state.”

Bonta and attorneys general in Delaware, Maryland, and Colorado filed a lawsuit on behalf of 23 states on Tuesday. They argue that Trump and the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), led by Elon Musk, acted illegally by violating the federal Administrative Procedures Act and the separation of powers under the Constitution, since Congress created and administers AmeriCorps.

Established in 1965 by President Lyndon Johnson as VISTA – Volunteers in Service to America – its current 65,000 service volunteers receive a living allowance and up to $10,000 toward college or vocational training.

In California, it is part of California Volunteers, which also includes College Corps, California Climate Action Corps, and Youth Service Corps. Combined, it is larger than the Peace Corps. In response to the devastating fires in  Los Angeles earlier this year, AmeriCorps members distributed supplies and supported families until the Trump Administration ended the program and sent them home without notice.

“Service sits at the very core of who we are as Americans,” said Gov. Gavin Newsom in a statement. “California is suing the Trump administration to defend thousands of hardworking service members and the communities they serve. These actions by President Trump and Elon Musk not only threaten our funding – they vandalize our values.”

John Fensterwald writes about education policy and its impact in California.